Last week was SO… cold here in Kentucky. I had two things on my mind all week… hot soup and hot bread, so I made both. First I made my recipe for Homemade Bread Bowls, that I later shared with you, and of course I just had to fill my bread bowls with some hot soup. When choosing a soup for bread bowls, you want a creamy thick soup, not a brothy thin soup. I had so many hot and creamy soup options to choose from, but after some thought I came up with the winner, Homemade Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup.
Here’s a quick overview of what I did to make this soup delicious, creamy and loaded with flavor…
- I started by chopping some fresh cauliflower and roasting it in my oven.
- I cooked some thinly sliced carrots in a small pan and set them aside. I find that when I saute´ vegetables, carrots seem to take quite a bit longer to get tender than other vegetables.
- I melted some butter in a dutch oven. I added some celery, onion and garlic and cooked until the vegetables were tender. Then I added some flour and a little chicken broth and made a roux, followed by more chicken broth.
- Next I added the roasted cauliflower…the star of the show.
- I added some milk and heavy cream, and lastly…some shredded white cheddar cheese.