A creamy satisfying Broccoli Cauliflower casserole, topped with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and buttery seasoned bread crumbs!
- 1 fresh head cauliflower
- 1 fresh head broccoli
- 1 stick butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse the broccoli and cauliflower under cold water. Cut and discard all stems and leaves from the broccoli and cauliflower. Cut any large florets in half.
- Place the broccoli and cauliflower in a steamer and steam for 4-5 minutes and remove from heat. Transfer vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
- Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a dutch oven or large skillet, over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until the unions are tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and just about 1/4 cup of your chicken broth and whisk for about 1 minute until mixture becomes smooth and thick. Add about one more cup of the broth and keep whisking for about 2 minutes. Add the remaining broth and whisk until the sauce begins to slightly thicken, about 1 minute.
- Add the softened cream cheese and whisk until the cream cheese has melted and incorporated into the sauce.
- Whisk in the seasoned salt, salt, pepper and paprika, remove from heat and set the sauce aside.
- Combine the 2 tablespoons of melted butter and the bread crumbs together with a fork in a small bowl.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 2 quart casserole dish. Add half of the broccoli and cauliflower to the dish. Pour half of the sauce over the broccoli and cauliflower, and sprinkle half of the Monterey Jack cheese over the top. Repeat the steps again. Finish by topping the casserole with the buttery bread crumbs.
- Bake the casserole for about 30 minutes until the top is bubbly and the bread crumbs are golden brown.
- The casserole can be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated. Allow to set out at room temperature for about an hour before baking, or the top will get too brown before the casserole gets heated through.
- Serving Size: 6