Chocolate Eclair! You know…that age old classic dessert that we’ve all indulged in from time to time over the decades. Well it’s still here and still popular today. I speculate that one of the reasons is because it is one of the easiest desserts ever to make. The second being that it’s so light, creamy and delicious!
To be honest, it had been years since I made this quick and easy dessert, when my son-n-law Brad mentioned it the other day. He mentioned that throughout the years Chocolate Eclair has made a frequent appearance at his family’s holiday gatherings. He also mentioned how well he liked it. It just so happened that his birthday was this week, and just what do you think I made him? While I was at it, I decided to whip up a second one to take to my father-n-law. Yep…it was a hit!
Now just how can you say no to this?
- 2 small boxes instant vanilla pudding, 3.4 ounces each
- 3 1/4 cups milk
- 1 carton cool whip, 8 ounce
- 1 box, (3 sleeves) graham crackers
- 1 tub store bought chocolate frosting or homemade frosting
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Add the pudding and milk to a large mixing bowl. Using a whisk or an electric mixer, mix the pudding and milk for about one minute. Add the cool whip and mix just to incorporate the cool whip. Allow mixture to set for five minutes. Mixture will slightly thicken.
- Cover the bottom of a 9 x 13 dish with graham crackers, breaking them apart when necessary to cover the entire surface.
- Spread one half of the pudding mixture over the layer of graham crackers. Spread a second layer of graham crackers over the pudding. Spread the second half of the pudding mixture over the second layer of graham crackers, followed by a third layer of graham crackers.
- Using an offset spatula, gently spread the frosting over the top layer of graham crackers.
- Refrigerate for at least six hours or overnight. Graham crackers will soak up moisture from the pudding and become soft layers.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a medium sauce pan. Add the syrup, milk and powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Total time does not include refrigeration time of 6 hours or overnight.