Rich cocoa Rice Krispie treats, loaded with marshmallows and topped with more marshmallows and melted chocolate!
- 1/4 cup Hershey’s cocoa
- 1 stick real butter, divided
- 1 bag large jet puffed marshmallows, 10 ounce bag,
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 25 – 30 miniature marshmallows for sprinkling on top
- 2 ounces of melted good bittersweet chocolate, such as Ghirardelli
- Using 1 tablespoon of the butter, lightly butter the bottom of a 9″ x 9″ baking pan. Spread a piece of parchment paper across the bottom and up and over the sides, leaving at least a 1″ over hang of paper. Rub just a dab of butter on the top of the paper. Lay a second piece of paper in the opposite direction over the first piece. Smear the rest of the piece of butter over the bottom of the paper. Lightly sprinkle cocoa over the paper, and set the pan aside.
- Place the remaining 7 tablespoons of butter and the cocoa in a large pan over medium heat. Heat and stir until the butter has completely melted into the cocoa.
- Add the marshmallows and stir constantly until the marshmallows are completely melted and blended in with the chocolate mixture. Add the vanilla and blend in. Remove from heat.
- Add the Rice Krispies and mix well with a large spoon.
- Add the two cups of miniature marshmallows and mix them in. They will only partially melt, which is what you want.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Sprinkle about 25 to 30 miniature marshmallows over the top and set the pan aside while you melt the chocolate for the top.
- Place the chocolate in a small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir the chocolate and microwave for an additional 30 seconds if needed. Stir until smooth. Using a spoon, drizzle the chocolate over the top of the Rice Krispie treats, going back and forth in a horizontal motion, and covering the marshmallows with chocolate.
- Let set for about an hour until the chocolate has had plenty of time to set up, or you can place the pan in a freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Lift the treats, paper and all, out of the pan and set on a counter. Using a sharp knife, cut the treats into 9 bars.
- Place in an airtight container, with wax or parchment paper between the layers.
- These treats will easily keep for about a week, but don’t worry, they won’t last a day!
- Serving Size: 9