I love sweet potatoes and I fix them several different ways… sweet potatoes baked in a sweet syrupy glaze with tiny marshmallows covering them, sweet potato casserole, baked whole sweet potatoes in the skin, and this recipe for whipped sweet potatoes with brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, and nutmeg.
This recipe comes together so easily, and it’s the perfect recipe when you’re busy trying to make several sides at one time for your holiday meal. You can also prepare them, cover them with foil, and keep them in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 stick real butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon half & half
- Coarsely chopped pecans, optional
- Peel and slice sweet potatoes. Add to a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium heat and simmer until potatoes are fork tender. Drain.
- Add the potatoes and butter to the mixing bowl of a stand mixer or use a hand mixer. Mix on medium speed until the potatoes are smooth and free of any lumps. Add the brown sugar, half & half and spices and mix on medium speed for about 30 seconds to incorporate. Fold in the pecans, if using.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
If you prepare the potatoes before your meal is ready, place them in an oven proof dish, cover with foil, and place in a 200-degree oven to keep warm.
Keywords: sweet potatoes, mashed, whipped, spiced, easy,