Today is the big day of the 143rd running of the Kentucky Derby. If you can’t be there live to watch the race, you can still enjoy a Kentucky Mint Julep….that is if you have five minutes to spare.
A minty refreshing Kentucky bourbon drink.
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- Crushed Ice
- Kentucky Bourbon
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish
- Make a simple syrup by heating water to almost boiling. Add the sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Add the mint and let steep for 20-30 minutes.
- Add crushed ice to a Julep glass or tumbler.
- Add 1/1/2 ounces of Kentucky Bourbon.
- Add 2/12 teaspoons of the syrup, or to your taste, and stir.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaf and serve.
- The simple syrup makes enough for about three dozen drinks. Recipe can be cut in half or stored in the refrigerator for up to three weeks.
- Serving Size: 1