I make these little buttery gems at Christmas, but they are great at anytime. My recipe calls them Pecan Dreams, but they are also known as Wedding Cake Cookies, Mexican Wedding Cookies and Russian Tea Cakes. My friend Dennis, looks forward to receiving these cookies from me each Christmas. Not only are they his favorite, he says they take him back in time to when he was a little boy and his mom made them for him.
These cookies get rolled twice in powdered sugar…once when they’re hot and again when they cool. The powdered sugar adds just the right amount of sweetness, not too much, to these cookies, and did I mention they are so quick and easy to make!
Okay, first I mix the softened butter, sugar and vanilla together in a large mixing bowl. Using a mixer, I mix them until they are light and creamy. Next I add in the flour and pecans and mix well.
Now, you could just roll the cookies into balls. However, to make sure they are all uniform, I use a cookie scoop and place scoops of dough onto a cookie sheet.
Next, I pick up each scoop of dough and roll it into a ball in the palm of my hand, then I place them back onto the cookie sheet. Now, they get baked for 30 minutes until they are browned on the bottom and just barely browned on top.
Notice that after they are baked, they are still fairly light on top. Now, while they are hot, I dip them two or three at a time, in powdered sugar and then onto wax paper or a plate.
Once they’ve cooled, I roll the cookies, a few at a time, in a dish of powdered sugar. Why? Because the first time I rolled them, the sugar melted into the hot cookies. The second time, is for a coating that doesn’t get absorbed into the cookies, and thirdly, just because I can! Oh, and because the powdered sugar compliments these cookies so much! Note: The cookies themselves have a mere 4 tablespoons of powdered sugar in them.
Did I mention that these cookies go great with milk, eggnog, coffee and hot chocolate…… Oh, and it’s hard to sneak a few of these without leaving a trail of evidence. I know! The culprits in my kitchen always get caught!Print
Buttery, nutty, and mildly sweet, describes these little melt in your mouth gems!
- 1 cup real butter, softened
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl with a mixer, until the mixture is light and creamy. Add the flour and pecans and mix well.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop scoopfuls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Place each scoop of dough in the palm of your hand and roll into a perfect ball.
- Bake for 30 minutes until cookies are brown on the bottom but barely browned on top.
- While cookies are hot, roll two to three at a time in powdered sugar and place on wax paper or a dish to cool. Once cookies are cooled, roll cookies again in powdered sugar.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.
- These cookies keep well for up to two weeks.