One of the easiest pies to make is Pumpkin. There could never be a Thanksgiving dinner without Pumpkin Pie gracing the dessert table. If you’re a big “play it safe” person who runs to the store for a frozen Pumpkin Pie for Thanksgiving,..stop… don’t do it!! It literally takes about five minutes to mix up a homemade Pumpkin Pie. Yes, that’s right. Not to mention that when it’s baking, your kitchen is filled with a wonderful aroma of pumpkin and spices. You can use a store-bought pie crust or make one from scratch. Either way…once you make a homemade Pumpkin Pie, you will never purchase a store-bought Pumpkin Pie again. I adapted this Pumpkin Pie recipe from the original Libby’s Pumpkin Pie recipe…the one on the back of their Pumpkin Puree can. I’ve made it for years and it has never disappointed. I think you’ll love it too.
Here’s how I made it…
I started by adding some eggs, pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, milk, brown sugar, white sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and flour to a large mixing bowl…
And I mixed all of the ingredients on medium speed with an electric mixer for about one minute to combine…
Next, I poured the filling into a prepared 9″ deep dish pie shell. I used Aunt Elsie’s Flaky Pie Crust…
Then I placed strips of foil, about 2″ deep, around the edges of the pie crust and stapled the ends together…
And lastly, I bent the foil inward slightly, and baked the pie until it was set in the center, removed the foil and transferred the pie to a wire rack to cool…
See how the foil tent keeps the edges from over browning…yet doesn’t mess up the edges either…
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 can pumpkin puree, 15 ounces (do not use pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 1/2 cups half & half
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 – 9 ” deep dish pie shell
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix the filling ingredients in a large bowl by hand or with an electric mixer. Combine well. Pour the filling into the prepared pie shell. Cover the edges with foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes on the lower oven rack. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for approximately 40 more minutes or until the center of pie is set.
- Remove foil and let pie cool to room temperature and refrigerate.
Prep time does not include making pie crust.
- Serving Size: 8