Sweet Potatoes are so wonderful! I like them no matter how they are prepared. However, my husband Don doesn’t like them baked. He wants me to “mash” them or “smash” them. When I’m fixing a large amount to serve to company, I usually mash them, which is actually “whipped” using my mixer, just like I fix my mashed white potatoes. Yes my mashed potatoes are really whipped potatoes and my smashed potatoes are actually mashed with the potato masher. Did you get that? Well anyway, when it’s just the two of us, I fix this quick little recipe, which doesn’t involve messing with the big mixer…. Just the good ole’ hand masher. These taste so wonderful, which just the right amount of cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg. Yum!
All you do is….
Cook two large sweet potatoes in a pot of water over medium heat until they are fork tender….
Let them cool slightly and peel off the skins.
Smash them up with a potato masher….
Then Smash them up some more with the potato masher…
Add some real butter….
Add some spices…..
Then some brown sugar…..
Then a little half and half….and smash it up some more….
And you’re done!! What a quick and yummy side!!!
A healthy, sweet and cinnamony, quick and delicious comfort food!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons real butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon half and half
- Cook the sweet potatoes, skins on, in a large pot of water over medium heat until fork tender.
- Slightly cool the sweet potatoes and remove the skins.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes, add the butter and mash the butter in.
- Add the spices, then the brown sugar and mix in with the potato masher.
- Add the half and half and mix in until potatoes are smooth.
- Serving Size: 3