This Spinach Tortellini Soup is a perfect soup to use as a meal starter. It’s a thin soup which pairs nicely with some hot crusty bread for dipping. My sister Nancy, a vegetarian, replaces the chicken broth with vegetable broth, so really anyone can enjoy this soup. It doesn’t take very long to make and you can pick your choice of stuffed Tortellini…I used cheese, but you can use, mushroom, chicken etc…and you can top it off with more grated Parmesan when you serve it, if you like…
Here’s how I made this quick little soup…
I started by defrosting a bag of chopped spinach and thoroughly draining it and using my hands to squeeze the water out of it. Simply draining it is not enough, because it still retains a lot of water…
Next I heated a tiny bit of Olive oil in my dutch oven, (you can use a soup pot), and added some finely chopped onion and minced garlic to it. I sautéed it over medium heat for about a minute or so, until the onion was tender…
Then I added some water and chicken broth to my dutch oven, (you can substitute vegetable broth)…
Next, I turned the heat to high and brought the mixture to a boil…
I added my thoroughly drained and squeezed spinach…
And some diced tomatoes with juice and oh yes… a tiny bit of sugar. I mixed everything together…
Then I added a bag of frozen tortellini and brought the mixture back to a boil over high heat…
Once it came to a boil, I reduced the heat to medium and placed a lid on my dutch oven. I let the mixture simmer for five minutes. Meantime, I whisked together an egg, some salt and pepper and some shredded Parmesan cheese in a measuring cup…
Once the five minutes was up, I removed the lid and slowly drizzled the egg mixture over the soup…
I cooked the soup for two minutes and removed it from the heat…
Cindy @ My Country TablePrint
A thin and savory comforting starter soup.
- 1 package, 10 ounces, frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic*
- 2 cans roasted garlic seasoned chicken broth, 14.5 ounces each*
- 1 can, 14 ounces, diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 package, frozen tortellini, any flavor, 9 ounces
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Additional cheese for garnish, optional
- Thaw and drain the spinach, using your hands to squeeze out any excess water and set aside.
- Heat the Olive oil in a dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for at least one minute until the onion is tender. Add the broth and water, turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Add the spinach, tomatoes and sugar and stir to combine.
- Add the tortellini and bring mixture back to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover with a lid, and cook for five minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, whisk together the egg, cheese, pepper and salt in a measuring cup. After the soup has cooked for five minutes, drizzle the egg mixture over the soup, while stirring constantly. Cook for two minutes and remove the soup from the heat. Add additional salt to taste.
- Immediately serve in bowls and garnish with additional cheese if desired.
- *If you cannot find garlic seasoned chicken broth, use regular chicken broth and increase the minced garlic to 2 teaspoons.
- Serving Size: 5