Summer is the time for cool desserts. It’s also the season for lots of different fresh fruits. Strawberries are one of Summers’ most popular fruits. They are so refreshing in most any dessert, just like this Strawberry Chiffon Pie. Not only is this pie cool and refreshing, but it’s delicious! Oh, and it’s one of the easiest pies you’ll ever make.
Here’s all you do…
- Crush some fresh strawberries and add some sugar and lemon juice.
- Dissolve some gelatin, sugar and water together.
- Beat some egg whites
- Add everything together and pour in pie shell and chill
The result is the most cool and refreshing easy pie ever.
Add this to your Summer pie recipe file.Print
- 1 blind baked pie shell, deep dish
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Sliced strawberries for garnish, optional
- Add the strawberries to a large bowl and crush with a pastry blender. Add 1/4 cup of the sugar and the lemon juice. Allow mixture to set for 30 minutes.
- Meantime, mix together the remaining sugar and gelatin in a small saucepan. Add water and stir over medium heat until the gelatin and sugar have dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Add the cooled gelatin mixture to the strawberry mixture and mix to combine. Refrigerate mixture, stirring occasionally, until mixture is about as thick as corn syrup. Remove from refrigerator and set aside. The gelatin will continue to set once it’s removed from the refrigerator.
- Add egg whites to the bowl of a stand mixer, (or use a hand mixer). Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, about 1 minute. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the stiffly beaten egg whites into the gelatin mixture and set aside.
- Add the whipping cream to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat the cream until soft peaks form, about 1 minute.
- Gently fold the whipping cream into the strawberry mixture and transfer filling to the pre-baked pie shell.
- Chill for at least 1 hour and decorate top of pie with sliced strawberries if desired.
- Serve cold with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Refrigerate leftovers and eat within 2 days.
To see how to pre-bake a homemade pie shell click here. If using a store bought pie shell, follow the directions on the package.