Cream of Tartar contributes to the light and tender texture of these buttery and lightly sweetened cookies.
- 1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar, plus more for pressing cookies
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus more for dusting cookies
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the butter to a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer or a wooden spoon, mix the butter until it is light and creamy. Add the sugars, vegetable oil, egg and vanilla and mix until throughly combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix just to incorporate. Do not over mix.
- Using a large cookie scoop, place scoops of cookie dough on an ungreased cookie sheet, leaving some room between them for spreading. Dip the bottom of a glass in water, then dip the glass in granulated sugar. Lightly press down on each cookie with the bottom of the sugar dipped glass, flattening the cookies.
- Bake cookies for approximately 15 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned on bottoms. Do not over bake. Cookies should be light in color on top.
- Allow cookies to set for about 1 minute on cookie sheet and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Once cookies have cooled, dust tops with powdered sugar.
- Store in an airtight container. Cookies will stay fresh for up to 1 week.