These Apple Crumb Muffins are super moist with a buttery cinnamon flavor, and a scrumptious brown sugar crumb topping. They’re finished with a perfect vanilla glaze and are better than any bakery muffin.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup full-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup peeled, cored, and chopped cooking apple, such as Granny Smith
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk or half & half
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the crumb ingredients to a medium bowl and mix with a spatula or your hands until the mixture is thick and crumbly. Set aside
- Spray or line muffin cups with paper liners. You will probably need about 14 muffin holders. If you only have one 12-count muffin pan, you can bake two by themselves, but don’t try to overfill the muffin cups to try and make 12.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, combine the eggs, butter, buttermilk, and vanilla. Mix on medium-high speed for about one minute until the mixture is thoroughly combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed, just until the flour is almost incorporated. You should still see some dry flour here and there. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the apples and nuts.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling no more than 3/4 full. You need room for the crumb topping.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the muffin fillings, pressing the mixture lightly into the filling with your hands.
- Bake the muffins for approximately 15 to 20 minutes until the muffins are golden brown on top. Run a toothpick through the crumb topping and muffin to check for doneness, if you’re not sure if they’re done. Sometimes it’s hard to tell when you have a crumb topping.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the glaze ingredients and drizzle over warm or room temperature muffins.
- The muffins will stay fresh for up to 2 days at room temperature or 4 days refrigerated.
Freezing Muffins: Wrap the muffins securely and freeze unglazed for up to 3 months. Thaw to room temperature, and warm in a microwave. Make and drizzle the glaze over the muffins.
Jumbo Muffins: This recipe will make 6 jumbo muffins. They will take about 5 – 7 additional minutes of baking time.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple muffins, apple streusel muffins, apple crumb muffins, muffins,