These tender melt in your mouth Butter Cookies are my #1 requested cookie recipe. I’ve made these cookies 100’s of times!! They are the perfect cookie to make for the holidays and they get more buttery each day after they’re made.
For the Cookies
- 2 cups real unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 cups all purpose flour, more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Icing
- 1 pound powdered sugar, maybe more
- 1/3 stick real butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- Enough milk for easy spreading consistency
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
For the Cookies
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, mix butter and powdered sugar on low speed with a mixer until the sugar is incorporated, then on medium speed until the mixture is light and creamy. Stir in dry ingredients that have been sifted together or mixed well with a fork.
- Working with about 1/3 of the dough at a time, roll dough out to about 1/4″ in thickness, on a lightly floured surface. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the bottoms and edges are lightly browned and the tops are still very light, (not browned at all). Cool on a wire rack and decorate with buttercream frosting.
For the Frosting
- Place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer, or use a hand mixer. Mix it on medium speed until it’s light and creamy. Add the vanilla and mix it in. Slowly add in the powdered sugar. If the frosting seems to thick, add a tiny bit of milk, only 1 teaspoon at a time. If it’s too thin, add a little more sugar.
- Frost and decorate the cookies. Let the cookies set, until the frosting has completely set.
- Store the cookies between layers of wax paper in an airtight container.
- These cookies keep well for up to two weeks in an airtight container. They also taste more buttery the day after they are baked.
- Unfrosted cookies can be frozen for up to one month.