- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon full fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk or half & half
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or fork, until butter resembles small peas. Whisk the egg into the buttermilk in a large mixing cup and add to the flour/butter mixture. Mix until a dough forms, but do not over mix. Over mixing causes tough bread.
- Dust a work surface with flour. Transfer dough to work surface and knead 2 to 3 times just until dough comes together. Divide dough in half. Pat each half into a 5 inch circle. Cut into 6 wedges.
- Place wedges on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake until golden brown on top.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together the sugar, vanilla and milk or half and half. Drizzle over scones. Serve the extra glaze alongside the scones.
- Store scones in an airtight container. Scones are best eaten the day they are made but will stay fresh for up to one day.