These Candied Sweet Potatoes have a warmly spiced, buttery, brown sugar syrup over freshly cooked sweet potatoes and a sprinkling of toasted marshmallows on top. The perfect Thanksgiving side!
- 4 large or 5 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 large marshmallows cut in half, or 3/4 cup mini marshmallows (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into thick slices, at least 1-inch in thickness, or cut them in large chunks. Place the sweet potatoes in a 2-quart saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Remove from heat, drain, and transfer potatoes to a medium-size casserole dish.
- Meantime, melt the butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add the brown sugar, water, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla and combine. Bring to a boil and remove from the heat. Pour the syrup mixture evenly over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake sweet potatoes for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and scatter the marshmallows over the top. Return to the oven and watch them closely until the marshmallows become brown and toasted on top. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 to 4 days.
- Sweet potatoes can be baked the day before. Remove from refrigerator 1 hour before reheating. Heat for 20 minutes, scatter the marshmallows over the top and return to oven until the marshmallows are toasted.
- Cook time includes cooking and baking the sweet potatoes.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: candied sweet potatoes, sweet potatoes, thanksgiving sides,