This brothy Chicken Noodle Soup is loaded with “good for you” ingredients and fine egg noodles. It’s perfect for someone who’s sick and wants a hot comforting soup with easy to swallow ingredients.
- 10 to 11 chicken thighs, with skins
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- salt & pepper
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 1/4 cups carrots, thinly sliced (I like to use baby carrots)
- 1 1/4 cups celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 9 ounces fine egg noodles, (about 3/4 of a 12 ounce bag)
- Add the chicken thighs to a large pot. Add plenty of water, the bouillon cubes, and some salt & pepper. I start with 2 teaspoons of salt and a generous shake of pepper. Don’t add more salt until the chicken has cooked and you taste the broth. Bouillon cubes contain alot of salt. Bring chicken to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium heat, cover with a lid and simmer for at about 1 hour and 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and falls off the bone when you use prongs to pick up a piece of the chicken. Transfer the chicken to a bowl to cool. I place it in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Once the chicken has cooled, remove the skins, debone the chicken, and cut the chicken into bite size pieces. Return the chicken to the pot.
- Meantime, while the chicken is cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery. Saute’ until the onions are translucent and the carrots are fork tender. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer the mixture to the soup pot along with the turmeric and thyme.
- Add additional broth to the pot if needed. Taste the broth and add additional salt & pepper to taste. Add the noodles to the pot and cook until the pasta is tender.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days.
- This soup freezes beautifully.
- I recommend cutting the vegetables and chicken into very small pieces in this soup if you’re making it for someone who is sick.
- I use 3/4 of a bag of noodles when fixing this soup for someone sick. Sometimes I even use less. The more broth the better.
- Category: soup
- Method: cook
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: soup, chicken noodle soup, get well soup, feel better soup,