The sweetness of this rich custard-like pie is offset by the rich bittersweet tones of cocoa. A perfect addition to your holiday dessert table.
- 1 – 9 inch shallow pie shell, partially blind baked
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into the partially blind baked pie shell. Place foil around edges to prevent over browning.
- Place pie in oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees. Bake pie for 15 minutes and reduce heat to 300 degrees. Continue baking for approximately 20 minutes or until pie is barely jiggly in the center when gently shaken. Filling will puff up slightly while baking but will deflate when removed from oven.
- To see more about partially blind baking the pie shell, see my notes above this recipe.
- Baking times will vary. My pie baked for an additional 30 minutes, after reducing the temperature to 300 degrees.
- The fresher the eggs, the longer the baking time.
- Serving Size: 8