These Cocoa Brownies are moist and dense and made with pure cocoa, and they’re finished with the most delectable Coconut Pecan Frosting!!
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cups Hershey’s Cocoa
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 sticks melted butter
- Butter for greasing parchment paper
- Cocoa for dusting parchment paper
COCONUT PECAN FROSTING
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 stick real butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9″ x 9″ square pan with butter. Lay a piece of parchment paper across the bottom and up the sides of the pan, allowing the paper to hang over the sides of the pan by one to two inches. Butter the bottom and sides of the paper, and dust the bottom and all sides with cocoa. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the eggs on medium speed until they are light, foamy, and lemony. Add the vanilla and mix to incorporate.
- Place a wire mesh strainer or a sifter over the mixing bowl. Place the sugars, cocoa, and flour in the strainer, and sift the ingredients into the mixing bowl. Mix the ingredients on medium speed just until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Note: The salt is not added with the dry ingredients because the salt granules are too big to sift through most strainers.
- Add the salt, and slowly add the butter with the mixer on low speed. Mix only until the butter is mixed in and stop mixing.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for exactly 45 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies should come out clean. Let brownies set in the pan for fifteen minutes.
- Run a sharp knife along the two sides of the pan that don’t have parchment paper. Grab the edges of the parchment paper and pull straight up as you lift the brownies and transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- While they are cooling make the frosting.
COCONUT PECAN FROSTING
- Place the milk, sugar, egg yolks, butter, and vanilla in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat while stirring slowly but constantly until the mixture has thickened. This usually takes about 12 minutes. If you double the recipe, it takes 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add the coconut and pecans. Mix to combine. For neater spreading, place the frosting in a freezer for about 10 minutes before spreading on the brownies.
- Use an offset spatula to spread the frosting over the brownies. Slice brownies with a clean sharp knife. Cut into 9 large brownies, wiping knife clean between cuts. A large pizza cutter also works great for cutting these brownies.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- Category: Bars/Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: brownies, cocoa brownies, fudgy brownies, german chocolate, coconut pecan frosting,