Cream of coconut adds an extra boost of pure coconut flavor to this scrumptious coconut pie.
- 1 9-inch deep dish pie shell baked and cooled. I used this recipe.
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup cream of coconut
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Dash of salt
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 4 eggs yolks lightly whisked
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon real butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1/3 cup toasted coconut
- Slightly whisk the eggs in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a medium pan, combine the cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Add the milk, half and half and cream of coconut and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove pan from the heat.
- Pour about half of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, while whisking constantly, to prevent the hot mixture from cooking the eggs. Continue whisking until the hot mixture and eggs are thoroughly combined.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the pan with the remaining hot mixture and return to medium heat. Bring mixture back to a bubbling boil while whisking constantly. Once the mixture has thickened and comes to a boil, remove it from the heat.
- Add the vanilla and butter and whisk until blended. Add the coconut and whisk until blended again.
- Pour the filling into a pre-baked 9″ deep dish pie shell and place a piece of plastic wrap over the filling. Refrigerate.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the vanilla and the powdered sugar. Using the whisk attachment, whisk the mixture on low speed until the powdered sugar is incorporated. Turn mixer to medium for a few seconds, then to high speed. Continue mixing on high speed until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Spread the coconut out on a cookie sheet. Place on a top oven rack and turn on the broiler. Watch the coconut closely. It will suddenly start to toast and brown very quickly. DO NOT take your eyes off of it. Remove promptly as soon as some of it starts to turn golden brown. Allow the coconut to cool. Place in an airtight sandwich bag or container until ready to use. Place a dollop of whipped cream on each serving and sprinkle the coconut over it.
- Make sure you use a 9″ deep dish pie crust for this pie filling.
- Sometimes Cream of Coconut will congeal in the can. If this happens, transfer it to a small bowl and microwave for about 30 seconds until it becomes liquified again. Then measure it and proceed with the recipe.
- Prep time does not include baking the pie shell.
- Category: Pies
- Method: Cooked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 8
Keywords: coconut cream pie, coconut pie, pie, cream pies, Spring desserts, Easter desserts, Easter pies,