If you wanna fix something quick and easy and totally kid friendly, look no further. I watched Damaris Phillips, a Kentuckian with her own cook show, Southern at Heart, make these quick and yummy little Corn Dog Muffins. I was heading out to spend time with my grandchildren and decided to whip up a batch of these along with a side of Mac & Cheese. Now what kid would refuse to eat hot dogs in any form or Mac & Cheese for that matter… After testing my grandchildren for approval, I decided to share this so easy recipe with you guys. Of course you don’t have to be a kid to enjoy these. Eating these will remind you of being at the fair.
Here’s how I made ’em…
First I preheated my oven to 425 degrees. Then I placed a couple of mini muffin tins in my oven to get hot while preparing my hot dogs and batter…
Next I opened an 8 pack of all beef hot dogs. I cut and discarded the very end pieces, and cut each hot dog into five equal pieces. Note: Make sure when you slice the hot dogs that you cut straight cuts, not at an angle, or they will not stand up straight when placed in the muffin tins…
Then I mixed together some corn meal, flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl and set it aside…
I added some melted butter, eggs and buttermilk to a separate bowl…
And whisked everything together…
Then I added the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients…
And whisked everything together again…
Next, I removed the hot muffin tins from the oven. I poured one tablespoons of batter into each hot muffin tin cup…
Followed by one hot dog piece in the center of each muffin cup…
And I baked them for about 12 minutes until they were golden brown on top and removed them from the oven…
And when a certain person by the name of Don smelled the aroma coming from the kitchen, this cornbread hater helped himself to six of them. Hmm…
Make these for the kids…make them for your hubby…or make them because they’re so quick and easy!!
Golden sweet mini corn muffins with a bite size hot dog in the middle.
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup full fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons real butter, melted
- 8 all beef hot dogs, 6 inches long, cut into fifths
- Mustard & ketchup, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place three 12 cup mini muffin tins in the oven allow them to get hot.
- Meantime, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. In a second medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Remove the hot muffin tins from the oven. Using a tablespoon measuring spoon, place one tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup. Each cup should be half full of batter. Place one piece of hot dog into the center of each cup.
- Bake muffins until golden brown on top, about 10 minutes.
- Run a sharp knife around muffin edges if necessary. Invert while warm onto a serving plate.
- Muffins are best if consumed the same day.
- I used two 24 cup mini muffin tins instead of the three 12 cup muffin tins.
- The original recipe yield states 36 muffins, but I actually had enough batter for exactly 40. The eight hot dogs cut into fifths also makes 40.