Golden sweet mini corn muffins with a bite size hot dog in the middle.
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup full fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons real butter, melted
- 8 all beef hot dogs, 6 inches long, cut into fifths
- Mustard & ketchup, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place three 12 cup mini muffin tins in the oven allow them to get hot.
- Meantime, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. In a second medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Remove the hot muffin tins from the oven. Using a tablespoon measuring spoon, place one tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup. Each cup should be half full of batter. Place one piece of hot dog into the center of each cup.
- Bake muffins until golden brown on top, about 10 minutes.
- Run a sharp knife around muffin edges if necessary. Invert while warm onto a serving plate.
- Muffins are best if consumed the same day.
- I used two 24 cup mini muffin tins instead of the three 12 cup muffin tins.
- The original recipe yield states 36 muffins, but I actually had enough batter for exactly 40. The eight hot dogs cut into fifths also makes 40.