This Country Apple Pie starts with crisp, tart Granny Smith apples that are coated with a warm spice mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. Then it gets a drizzle of cream and baked to tender perfection. All it need is a scoop of ice cream!
- 1 double crust deep dish pie crust
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 large Granny Smith apples or 7 medium
- 3 tablespoons half & half or heavy whipping cream
- Cinnamon, sugar & pie wash for garnishing crust
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare the pie crust. Roll out the bottom crust and fit into a 9″ deep dish pie dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt and set aside.
- Peel and slice the apples into thin slices, no more than 1/4″ thick and add to a large bowl. Add the dry ingredients and mix with a large spoon, spatula or your hands until all of the apples are coated with the dry mixture. Turn the apples into the pastry lined pie dish. Drizzle the half & half or cream over the apples.
- Roll out the bottom crust and place over the top. Trim the crust to about 1/2″ past the edge of the pie dish. Fold the edge of the top crust over and under the edge of the bottom crust and slightly press the two together. Flute the edges or use a fork and crimp the edges. Using a sharp knife, cut 4-5 slits in the top crust for venting.
- Brush the top crust with a pie wash, such as egg yolk and water, followed by a sprinkling of sugar or cinnamon and sugar mixed.
- Place strips of 2″ deep foil around the pie edges and staple the ends together. Fold the top of the foil in slightly. Place pie on an old cookie sheet and bake for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour until the apples are very tender when you insert a knife through one of the slits.
- Cool pie for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm with ice cream or with a slice of Cheddar cheese.
- Always place fruit pies on an old cookie sheet when baking. Fruit pies have a way of bubbling over.
- Pie can set out of the refrigerator for at least one day. I like to bake it the day before serving and leave it at room temperature.
- Category: Pies
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 8
Keywords: apple pie, country apple pie, old fashion apple pie,