This Peach Ice Cream starts with cooked peach custard and gets lots of fresh diced peaches added to other pure ingredients just before churning. It’s absolutely delicious!!
- 1 cup mashed ripe peaches
- 2 cups diced ripe peaches
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly whisked
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups half & half, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dice and mash the peaches in separate bowls and set aside. Whisk the cornstarch into 1 cup of the half and half and set aside. Whisk the egg yolks into a large measuring cup or medium bowl and set aside.
- Add the sugar, heavy whipping cream, one cup of half and half with cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, vanilla, and mashed peaches to a medium saucepan and whisk to combine. Cook over medium heat while whisking constantly, until mixture comes to a bubbling boil and begins to thicken. Remove the pan from the heat, long enough to temper the eggs. To temper the eggs, pour about one cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks while whisking constantly for about thirty seconds. Add the egg mixture back into the saucepan and return to the heat. Bring the mixture back to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, for about one minute. Remove the mixture from the heat and place it in a freezer to cool for about 30 minutes until it’s chilled.
- Pour the cooled custard base into a large measuring bowl with a pour spout. Add the remaining three cups of half and half and the diced peaches. Whisk together. Pour into an ice cream machine and churn for about twenty minutes until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Serve ice cream soft serve or freeze for at least two hours for frozen firmer ice cream.
- If you serve this ice cream as soon as it’s churned, it will have a perfectly creamy consistency. However, homemade ice cream has no preservatives. Once it’s frozen, it won’t be quite as creamy as when it’s first churned, but it will still maintain its wonderful flavor.
- This recipe makes just under two quarts of ice cream.
- Category: Frozen desserts
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: ice cream, churned ice cream, custard base, peach, peach ice cream, homemade ice cream, national ice cream month,