This Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup is SO hearty and satisfying. If you’re ready for a change from a brothy soup, you’ll love this creamy version and it’s super comforting!
- 2 cups cooked brown and wild rice, 1 cup uncooked. I used Minute Brown & Wild rice. (See notes below recipe)**
- 4 large chicken breast, seasoning optional, (see notes below recipe)*
- 1 stick butter, unsalted
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2/3 cup diced celery
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen corn or peas
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder or ground mustard seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry parsley
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth (2 32-ounce cartons)
- 2 cups half & half
- Cook the rice according to package directions and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Season the chicken if desired. See notes below.* Bake the chicken until it’s no longer pink, about 45 minutes. Allow chicken to cool and cut it into small bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, and corn or peas. Saute for about 10 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add the minced garlic and saute for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the flour and about 1 cup of the chicken broth to the pot. Stir vigorously until the flour starts to thicken. Add 1 more cup of the broth and continue to stir constantly for about 2 minutes to cook out the flour’s raw taste. Add the remaining chicken broth and the diced chicken. Bring the soup to a boil, stirring constantly, and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, dry seasonings, and half & half. Allow soup to simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes uncovered, stirring frequently.
- Serve hot with your favorite bread.
* I seasoned the chicken with a sprinkling of salt, pepper, dried thyme, and garlic powder before baking.
** I used Minute Brown & Wild Rice for this recipe. I used 2 of the small 2-pack single serve size. See the picture above in the post.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamy chicken and rice soup, chicken rice soup, chicken and rice soup, soup, chicken soup,