This Apple Crisp is the perfect dessert to make if you’re in the mood for apple pie but don’t want to make a pie crust. It’s a perfect fall or anytime dessert and it’s so easy to prep. You can serve it with ice cream and even drizzle it with caramel ice cream topping. No matter how you serve it, it’s delicious!
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats, (don’t use the quick ones)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, diced into small cubes
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, optional (I use)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 4 tablespoons half & half
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 5 large granny smith apples, about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish and set aside. If you don’t have a 9 x 13 baking dish, use an oval casserole dish or any dish close to this size.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add the butter and mix the butter into the dry ingredients with your fingers, but don’t try mashing the butter. It will melt into the mixture when it’s in the oven. You want a crumbly mixture. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, half & half, and flour. Add the brown sugar, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, and salt and whisk together until all ingredients are wet. Set aside.
- Peel and slice the apples into thin slices about 1/8 inch in thickness, no more than 1/4 inch. The thinner they are the quicker they will bake through.
- Drizzle the wet filling mixture over the apples and use two forks to lightly mix and coat the apples with the filling. Transfer the apples to the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the topping over the apples, making sure to cover the entire surface.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until the crumb topping is a nice golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or ice cream and caramel ice cream topping.
- Slicing the apples is the last step in making the filling. This way, the apples will not turn brown before mixing them with the filling and there’s no need for lemon juice to keep the apples from turning brown.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy apple crisp, apple dessert,