If you like potatoes for breakfast, but aren’t a fan of crispy brown hash browns, then you might find a new easy favorite right here. These easy breakfast potatoes are tender, not crispy or browned, and have added flavor with green onions, peppers and cheese, and there’s always room for any additional favorites you might want to toss in…
Here’s how I made them…
The first thing I did was dice up some green onions and red pepper and set them aside….
Next, I heated some canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat…
Then I added a bag of frozen Southern Style diced potatoes that I had thawed in the refrigerator the night before…
And added the diced onions and pepper…
I added some salt and pepper and mixed it all together…
I cooked the potatoes over medium heat while frequently turning them with a wire spatula and adding additional oil as needed…
When the potatoes became fork tender, I removed the skillet from the heat and added lots of yummy shredded cheese and mixed it in as it melted…
Then I served them up with some bacon and eggs. How easy!!
Make these quick and easy breakfast potatoes and enjoy!
Cindy @ My Country TablePrint
A tender mix of diced potatoes, red pepper and onions, topped off with lots of shredded cheddar.
- Canola oil, or oil of your choice, for frying
- 1 bag frozen diced hash brown potatoes, 32 ounces, thawed
- 1/2 of one large red pepper, diced, or pepper of your choice
- 4 whole green onions diced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Place the bag of diced potatoes in the refrigerator the night before for thawing.
- Dice the red pepper and onions and set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add enough canola oil to coat the bottom of the skillet and be about 1/8″ deep.
- Once the oil has heated up, pour the diced potatoes into the skillet. Add the red pepper, onion, salt and black pepper. Toss and mix frequently with a wire spatula, until the potatoes become fork tender. Add a little additional oil if needed.
- When potatoes become fork tender, remove the skillet from the heat. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Toss the potatoes with the cheese and gently mix in the cheese, allowing it to melt.
- Serve hot topped with additional shredded cheese if desired.
- These potatoes are so versatile. Feel free to change up the cheese, or pepper, or add in cooked bacon or sausage pieces.
- Serving Size: 6