These super moist brownies have a superior rich cocoa flavor and they are dense, fudgy and sinfully delicious! Oh, and the cream cheese filling totally compliments the fudgy brownie filling.
Cream Cheese Batter
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups Hershey’s cocoa
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- Butter for greasing parchment paper and pan
- Cocoa for dusting pan
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a 9 x 9 pan with a long piece of parchment paper, allowing the paper to hand over the sides for easy removal later. See picture above. Butter the parchment paper and insides of the pan. Dust the parchment paper and insides of the pan with cocoa and set aside.
Cream Cheese Batter
- Add the cream cheese to a mixing bowl. Mix on high speed with an electric mixer until the cream cheese is smooth and creamy and free of any lumps. Stop and run a spatula under the bottom to make sure there are no lumps of cream cheese on the bottom of the bowl.
- Add the sugar, egg, vanilla, and flour and mix on medium speed for 1 minute. Set batter aside while you make the cocoa batter.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, (or using a hand mixer), mix the eggs on medium speed until they are foamy and lemony. Add the vanilla and mix to incorporate.
- Pace a wire mesh strainer or sifter over the mixing bowl. Place all of the dry ingredients including the sugars in the strainer or sifter and sift into the mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed just until the ingredients are incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Add the butter slowly, a little at a time, on low speed. Don’t add too much butter at one time or it will float on top and be harder to incorporate. Mix only until the butter is incorporated and stop mixing.
- Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan, making sure you spread it into the corners. I used a small offset spatula for this.
- Drop dollops of the cream cheese batter all over the top of the cocoa batter. Run a knife back and forth in a horizontal and vertical motion a few times.
- Drop dollops of the remaining cocoa batter over the cream cheese batter and smooth out with an offset spatula. Now run the knife through the batter once again in a horizontal and vertical motion.
- Shake the pan gently back and forth on a counter to even out the batter and release any air bubbles.
- Bake for approximately 48 to 50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out with moist crumbs.
- Allow brownies to cool for 5 minutes and run a sharp knife around the edges. Place pan on a wire rack and allow brownies to completely cool. Once cooled, remove the brownies by pulling and lifting up on the overhang of parchment paper. Transfer brownies to a counter and use a long sharp knife to cut brownies into 9 large or 18 small brownies.
- Store brownies in an airtight container. Brownies will stay fresh for up to 3 days or 5 days if refrigerated.
- Wiping the knife clean between cuts, will result in clean neat slices.
- Brownies can be frozen if placed between sheets of wax paper and placed in an airtight container.
- Category: Brownies
- Method: Bake
Keywords: fudgy marbled cocoa brownies, fudgy brownies, marbled brownies, cocoa brownies, brownies,