A hot filling breakfast casserole with a hash brown bottom crust and a golden brown swiss cheese topping.
- 6 slices of fried bacon, drained and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups diced zucchini, with peeling
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 16 ounces shredded Hash Brown potatoes
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, more as needed
- 5 large eggs, whisked
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 1/2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fry drain and crumble the bacon and set aside.
- Dice the red onion and chop the unpeeled zucchini into large chunks. Set aside.
- Place the canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil has become hot, add the shredded Hash Brown potatoes to the skillet. Cook potatoes on one side, until they are crispy and brown. Gently turn the potatoes over and cook the second side until the potatoes are brown and crispy. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9″ x 13″ baking dish. Spread the potatoes into the bottom of the dish. Pat any excess oil from the top with a paper towel. Set the dish aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and zucchini. Saute until the onion is translucent and the zucchini is tender. Remove from heat and spread the hot mixture over the potato layer in the baking dish, followed by the crumbled bacon.
- In a medium bowl or large measuring cup, whisk the eggs. Add the half & half, flour, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, (optional). Pour the mixture evenly over the baking dish ingredients. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake uncovered for about 45 minutes until the top is golden brown. Let casserole rest for at least five minutes before serving.
- This recipe makes six very large servings.
- Cooked ham or sausage can be substituted for the bacon.
- This recipe does not freeze well. The zucchini will become soggy, thus making the casserole soupy.
- Refrigerate any leftovers. Eat within two days.
- Serving Size: 6