I’m sure we’ve all probably eaten this light and wonderful cake at one time or another, but if you haven’t, you’ve been missing out my friends. My recipe calls this cake Jello Cake, although it’s also known as Poke Cake. Either way, it’s light and wonderful and the perfect dessert on a hot day. I love the fact that you can make it any flavor you want. I like to make it for the July 4th Holiday and use strawberry jello. It’s so fun with strawberries and blueberries but you can do whatever your little heart desires with this cake. This is a great cake to let little ones help with, and they’re sure to love eating it. Talk about easy peasy…Yum!!
Okay, to make it you just…
Open up a box of vanilla cake mix, it really doesn’t matter which kind, pudding or no pudding…whatever your little heart desires….
Mix the cake mix as directed on the box. I like to add a teaspoon of pure vanilla to the mix….
Now pour it into a 9″ x 13″ pan that you’ve lightly greased and floured…
Bake it in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes until it’s golden brown on top, (do not over bake). A toothpick inserted into the center should come out with slightly moist cake crumbs on it. Now let it cool completely…
Now you can use whatever kitchen tool you want here, but I like to use the end of a wooden spoon.
Now pole holes all over the surface, leaving a little space in between….this is the perfect time to let little hands help you…just saying…
Now open up a small box of jello, (again, whatever flavor your little heart desires) and pour it in a small bowl or 2 cup measuring cup.
Add some boiling water and whisk it until the jello dissolves…
Add in some cold water and whisk again….
Now start pouring the jello mixture all over the cake, trying to evenly distribute it. I like to aim for the little holes…I think I’m sort of OCD when it comes to pouring the jello in equal little amounts into the holes….I don’t know why, cause I’m sure not perfect at anything I do, I just feel the need to do this….Don’t pay attention to me, just pour it however you want to….
Just make sure that you try to cover the entire surface with the jello mixture. Now refrigerate it for about 3 hours…
Now just slice up some strawberries or whatever fruit you wanna use….and grab some blueberries, only if you wanna do the July 4th look like I did here….and grab a carton of cool whip….and then….
Enjoy one piece and then another….it’s so light, you’ll want to eat the whole thing…
A moist and light cake topped with cool whip and fruit…the perfect hot weather dessert!
- 1 box white cake mix, with or without pudding in the mix
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla extract
- 1 box strawberry jello, 3 ounce box
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 quart of fresh strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 carton, 8 ounce, cool whip, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease and flour a 9″ x 13″ cake pan.
- Mix the cake mix according to package directions. Bake for about 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out with slightly moist cake crumbs on it. (do not overtake). Let cake cool completely. Once cooled, use the end of a wooden spoon to poke holes in the cake all across the top.
- In a small bowl, mix the jello and the boiling water. Whisk the mixture until the jello is totally dissolved. Add the cold water and whisk for about 30 seconds.
- Pour the jello mixture over the completely cooled cake, distributing the jello mixture evenly over the top of the cake. Refrigerate the cake for about three hours until the jello has had time to set up.
- Spread the cool whip over the top of the cake and add the fruit.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Any flavor jello can be used in the cake.
- Any fruit can be used to decorate the cake.
- Fresh homemade whipped cream can also be used instead of the cool whip.
- Serving Size: 12