My friend Shirley requests that I make her the same cake each year for her birthday. This year was no exception. Yellow cake with Milk Chocolate Frosting. She’s also a little bit picky, I might add. She doesn’t like dark chocolate frosting or any kind of whipped frosting. She doesn’t like cakes that have a mousse filling inside either. Just plain ole’ yellow cake with Milk Chocolate Frosting, so that’s what she gets. Oh yes, and it usually has a miniature elephant on top, her favorite animal. Last year, I actually placed a small pile of poop behind the elephant just for laughs. This year I decided to be nice.
When I make chocolate frosting, I love to use bittersweet cocoa for a deep rich chocolate flavor. However, for this recipe I also added some milk chocolate chips to lighten up the flavor for Miss Shirley. The cocoa gives this frosting a rich chocolate flavor and the milk chocolate chips mellow out the bittersweet flavor without taking away the richness. The addition of cream cheese and powdered sugar bring everything to a happy meeting place. We’re talking yum factor here!!
This frosting is so quick and easy to make…
All I did was whisk some cream cheese until it was light and creamy. I mixed in some butter cocoa and vanilla and whisked it again until light and creamy. Then I added some melted chocolate chips to the mix and lastly some powdered sugar. How easy!!!
I hope you make and enjoy this yummy frosting on a cake or cupcakes!
Here’s the recipe…
A creamy milk chocolate frosting with milk chocolate chips, cream cheese and added cocoa for richness.
- 1 package cream cheese, softened, 8 ounce
- 1 stick real butter, softened
- 1/2 cup bittersweet cocoa
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Place cream cheese in the large bowl of a stand mixer, or use a hand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whisk the cream cheese until it is creamy and free of all lumps.
- Add the butter, cocoa, vanilla and salt and whisk on medium speed until all ingredients are combined and mixture is light and creamy.
- Add the melted chocolate chips and whisk on medium speed for about 30 seconds to incorporate.
- Add the sugar on low speed, one cup at a time until incorporated. Mix on medium speed for about 30 seconds until frosting is very creamy and smooth.
- Frosts one 9 inch two layer cake or 24 cupcakes.
- I prefer to use the whisk attachment when mixing cream cheese. It seems to remove the lumps easier than the paddle attachment.
- Always whisk cream cheese by itself until it’s free of all lumps before adding additional ingredients.
- Refrigerate frosting if not using the same day.