This Milk Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting is the best of two worlds, chocolate, and cream cheese. Milk chocolate chips and bittersweet cocoa come together for the perfect blend of mellow sweet and bittersweet flavors, and the cream cheese adds the perfect touch of tanginess. It’s perfect for all your cakes and cupcakes!
- 1 package cream cheese, softened, 8 ounce
- 1 stick real butter, softened
- 1/2 cup bittersweet cocoa
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Place cream cheese in the large bowl of a stand mixer, or use a hand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whisk the cream cheese until it is creamy and free of all lumps.
- Add the butter, cocoa, vanilla and salt and whisk on medium speed until all ingredients are combined and mixture is light and creamy.
- Add the melted chocolate chips and whisk on medium speed for about 30 seconds to incorporate.
- Add the sugar on low speed, one cup at a time until incorporated. Mix on medium speed for about 30 seconds until frosting is very creamy and smooth.
- Frosts one 9 inch two layer cake or 24 cupcakes.
- I prefer to use the whisk attachment when mixing cream cheese. It seems to remove the lumps easier than the paddle attachment.
- Always whisk cream cheese by itself until it’s free of all lumps before adding additional ingredients.
- Refrigerate frosting if not using the same day.