A creamy milk chocolate frosting with milk chocolate chips, cream cheese and added cocoa for richness.
- 1 package cream cheese, softened, 8 ounce
- 1 stick real butter, softened
- 1/2 cup bittersweet cocoa
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Place cream cheese in the large bowl of a stand mixer, or use a hand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whisk the cream cheese until it is creamy and free of all lumps.
- Add the butter, cocoa, vanilla and salt and whisk on medium speed until all ingredients are combined and mixture is light and creamy.
- Add the melted chocolate chips and whisk on medium speed for about 30 seconds to incorporate.
- Add the sugar on low speed, one cup at a time until incorporated. Mix on medium speed for about 30 seconds until frosting is very creamy and smooth.
- Frosts one 9 inch two layer cake or 24 cupcakes.
- I prefer to use the whisk attachment when mixing cream cheese. It seems to remove the lumps easier than the paddle attachment.
- Always whisk cream cheese by itself until it’s free of all lumps before adding additional ingredients.
- Refrigerate frosting if not using the same day.