Nothing pairs better with a hot bowl of soup than a hot grilled sandwich. If you’re a lover of sautéed onions, swiss cheese and beef patties, I’d probably be quite safe in saying that you’re also a big fan of Patty Melts. If you do love Patty Melts, you probably have a recipe for them right there in your head. But just in case you’re a very forgetful person like me, I thought I’d post this so…easy recipe for Patty Melts. As you might already know, they also go great with some fries and a kosher dill pickle. Either way they’re great!
Ready to make um! Let’s go…
First melt some butter in a large skillet….
Now sauté some sliced onions in the butter over medium heat for about 15 minutes until the onions are tender and translucent. Transfer them to a paper towel lined plate, and try not to eat them.
Now mix some ground beef, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce together and form into six patties. Using the same skillet as you used for the onions, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the beef patties and cook them on both sides until they are well done. Transfer the patties to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
Now heat a griddle and butter it really well. (You can use a large skillet for this if you prefer). Assemble the patties on the griddle by placing one slice of bread on the skillet, followed by one slice of swiss cheese, one hamburger patty, sautéed onions, one more slice of cheese and a top slice of bread, which has been buttered on the top side. Grill each sandwich on one side until the cheese starts to melt and the bottom slice of bread is lightly grilled. Gently flip each sandwich over, trying to ensure that the onions do not fall out of the sandwich. Grill the second side until the cheese melts and remove the sandwiches from the griddle.
Serve hot and make sure you sneak a few extra sautéed onions for your own sandwich. They’ll never know!
A thick all beef patty, smothered with sautéed onions and melted swiss cheese, sandwiched between two slices of buttery grilled rye bread.
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced into 1/4” rings
- 6 tablespoons real butter, divided
- 2 pounds fresh lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 10 slices of thick sliced Swiss cheese
- 10 slices seedless light rye bread
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the onions in the butter for approximately 15 minutes until the onions are tender and translucent. Transfer the onions to a paper towel lined plate.
- Mix together the ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Form into 6 thick patties. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the same large skillet used for the onions. Cook the beef patties over medium heat on both sides until the patties are cooked through.
- Heat a large griddle and brush it with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Compile the sandwiches as follows…1 slice of bread, 1 slice of cheese, 1 beef patty, sautéed onions, 1 more slice of cheese, and 1 top slice of bread that has been buttered on the top side.
- Grill the sandwiches on the first side until the bottom slice of cheese begins to melt. Gently flip the sandwiches, being careful to not let the onions fall out. Grill the sandwiches on the second side until the bottom slice of cheese begins to melt.
- Remove sandwiches from heat and serve hot.
- Serving Size: 6