This Peppermint White Chocolate Buttercream combines white chocolate, butter, powdered sugar and peppermint extract for the most delicious and creamy buttercream ever. It’s perfect for your holiday cakes, cupcakes or even cookies! It’s super easy and you can make it ahead of time.
If you’ve never before tasted the combination of peppermint and white chocolate, you’re in for a sweet delectable surprise. Then add sweet cream butter to the equation and you have a delicious Peppermint White Chocolate Buttercream.
Pipe this Peppermint White Chocolate Buttercream onto your favorite cupcakes, cakes or cookies and really brighten up your holiday dessert table!
This buttercream is super easy to make. It requires heating white chocolate and half & half in the microwave until the chocolate melts.
Then it’s as simple as beating the chocolate until it’s creamy and adding peppermint flavoring and powdered sugar.
THE PEPPERMINT SWIRL
You can’t make something taste like peppermint unless it’s going to look like peppermint too. Right? That’s why I decided to add some red swirls to the buttercream. It reminds me of a candy cane. Besides, it was easy!
Here’s how I made the red swirl…
I placed a piping tip on the end of a piping bag. I used a Wilton 8B Then I used a small paintbrush and brushed 3 long vertical stripes of red food coloring inside of the bag. I used Wilton red-red gel food coloring. I went over each stripe a couple of times with the brush. After painting the stripes I filled the bag two-thirds full with the buttercream.
I piped the buttercream onto my cupcakes until the bag was empty. Then I discarded it and started over with a fresh bag. Once again, I brushed the stripes inside of the bag and filled it two-thirds full.
- Use disposable pastry bags. You’ll use more than one.
- Brush the vertical stripes in the bag, then go over them 1 to 2 more times with the brush. The more food coloring you use, the darker the red will be.
- Once you empty the first pastry bag, don’t reuse it. Start over with a fresh bag and brush fresh stripes of food coloring in the bag.
This Peppermint White Chocolate Buttercream is a perfect combo of butter and white chocolate. Then add in some peppermint extract and it’s the perfect buttercream for decorating your Christmas cupcakes, cakes or even cookies. It is super easy to make and can be made ahead of time.
- 2 four ounce bars, Ghirardelli Premium White Baking Bars
- 4 tablespoons half & half
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure Peppermint extract
- red food coloring
- Break the chocolate into small pieces. Add the chocolate and half & half to a medium bowl and microwave for 20 seconds. Gently stir with a spoon. Microwave for 15 more minutes and allow chocolate to sit for a few seconds. Stir once more. If chocolate isn’t completely melted, microwave for no more than 10 seconds and stir again. The chocolate should be melted. Allow chocolate to cool.
- Add the butter to the bowl of a stand mixer, or use a hand mixer. Beat on high sped until the butter is very light and creamy. Add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition. Once the sugar is incorporated, mix on medium speed for a few seconds. Add the white chocolate mixture and mix to combine on medium speed. Add the peppermint extract and mix on medium speed for about 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture is very smooth and creamy. If mixture seems too thick, add a tiny bit of half & half, starting with 1 teaspoon.
- Attach your desired decorating tip to a large disposable piping bag. Using a very small brush, brush 3 to 4 vertical stripes of red food coloring inside of the bag (see picture above). Fill the bag two-thirds full and pipe the buttercream onto your favorite cupcakes.
- Refrigerate leftover buttercream. When ready to use, mix the buttercream for about 1 minute before using.
- This frosting is enough to frost 24 cupcakes or a 2 to 3 layer cake.
- I used a Wilton 8B tip in the pictures above. I also used Wilton red-red food coloring.
- Category: Frosting
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: white chocolate buttercream, buttercream, white chocolate peppermint buttercream,