This Peppermint White Chocolate Buttercream is a perfect combo of butter and white chocolate. Then add in some peppermint extract and it’s the perfect buttercream for decorating your Christmas cupcakes, cakes or even cookies. It is super easy to make and can be made ahead of time.
- 2 four ounce bars, Ghirardelli Premium White Baking Bars
- 4 tablespoons half & half
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure Peppermint extract
- red food coloring
- Break the chocolate into small pieces. Add the chocolate and half & half to a medium bowl and microwave for 20 seconds. Gently stir with a spoon. Microwave for 15 more minutes and allow chocolate to sit for a few seconds. Stir once more. If chocolate isn’t completely melted, microwave for no more than 10 seconds and stir again. The chocolate should be melted. Allow chocolate to cool.
- Add the butter to the bowl of a stand mixer, or use a hand mixer. Beat on high sped until the butter is very light and creamy. Add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition. Once the sugar is incorporated, mix on medium speed for a few seconds. Add the white chocolate mixture and mix to combine on medium speed. Add the peppermint extract and mix on medium speed for about 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture is very smooth and creamy. If mixture seems too thick, add a tiny bit of half & half, starting with 1 teaspoon.
- Attach your desired decorating tip to a large disposable piping bag. Using a very small brush, brush 3 to 4 vertical stripes of red food coloring inside of the bag (see picture above). Fill the bag two-thirds full and pipe the buttercream onto your favorite cupcakes.
- Refrigerate leftover buttercream. When ready to use, mix the buttercream for about 1 minute before using.
- This frosting is enough to frost 24 cupcakes or a 2 to 3 layer cake.
- I used a Wilton 8B tip in the pictures above. I also used Wilton red-red food coloring.
- Category: Frosting
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: white chocolate buttercream, buttercream, white chocolate peppermint buttercream,