The days of hot weather and cold refreshing drinks are here, and this Perfect Lemonade is one of my favorites. It’s made from pure fresh lemon juice and simple syrup and is perfectly balanced between sweet and tart. Totally refreshing!!
Did you ever have a Lemonade stand when you were a kid? Have you ever bought a paper cup of Lemonade from a small child when you passed by their Lemonade stand at a local yard sale? Did you know that setting up a Lemonade stand is the first lesson a lot of kids learn in business skills? There’s a lot to be said for good ole Lemonade.
When we think of a thirst quencher on a hot summer day, we often think of acidic drinks like Lemonade. When we first drink that cold glass of Lemonade, the acidity convinces our mouths that the Lemonade is quenching our thirst. Then for some reason, we keep going back for another glass every five minutes. Why? Well first and foremost, because it’s cold, tart and delicious, but also because Lemonade is actually a dehydrator. Acidic, sugary drinks like Lemonade actually pull water from our bodies and promote dehydration.
So, if you’re working outside in the heat and want some hydration, you might want to reach for some water, but if you’re relaxing on the deck or front porch, reach for a tall cold glass of lemonade.
Here’s how I made Perfect Lemonade…
THE SIMPLE SYRUP
That’s right, simple syrup! Making a simple syrup is an easy way to ensure that the sugar gets completely dissolved in the lemonade. All I did was bring some sugar, water and lemon zest to a boil and boiled it for about a minute to dissolve the sugar. I removed it from the heat and allowed the syrup to cool while juicing the lemons.
THE LEMON JUICE
- I started by juicing several fresh lemons, enough to make 2 1/2 cups of freshly squeezed lemon juice. I also zested a couple of lemons. Click here to see how to correctly zest, grate, and juice a lemon.
Then all I did was mix the simple syrup, the lemon juice, and zest together in a one-gallon drink dispenser and add some cold water.
The rest is history!!Print
This tart homemade lemonade is the perfect thirst quencher on a hot day and it’s so much better than that canister from the store shelf. Easy too!
- 14–16 lemons, depending on size, enough for 2 1/2 cups lemon juice
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- Zest of two lemons
- Pour the water and sugar into a medium size sauce pan. Bring to a boil and dissolve sugar, making a simple syrup. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Squeeze the juice from enough lemons to make 2 1/2 cups lemon juice. Zest two of the lemons and add the zest to the lemon juice.
- Pour the lemon juice into a one-gallon pitcher or drink dispenser. Add the cooled simple syrup.
- Add enough water to make almost one gallon, allowing for ice, and stir well. Add more sugar to taste.
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Cook
Keywords: lemonade, perfect lemonade, country lemonade,