A silky, glossy and smooth textured meringue that pipes and decorates beautifully, and it tastes like the best vanilla marshmallows in spreadable form.
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 cups sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Add the egg whites, sugar, salt and cream of tartar to a medium heatproof bowl, (or to the heatproof bowl of a stand mixer). Whisk to combine.
- Place bowl over a medium pan of simmering water. Make sure water does not touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Whisk egg white mixture constantly for up to 3-4 minutes until the sugar has completely dissolved. Check by rubbing a small amount of the mixture between two fingers. If it feel smooth and no longer grainy or gritty, it’s ready to be removed from the pan of water. Add the vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer, if you don’t already have it in the mixer bowl. Whisk mixture on low speed for a few seconds, gradually increasing speed to high. Whisk until mixture becomes stiff, and looks glossy and satiny. Peaks should stand on their own.
- Keep refrigerated. Use within three days.
- *Yields enough meringue for 12 cupcakes or one nine inch cake layer. Recipe can be doubled for twenty four cupcakes or one double layer cake.
- The egg whites in this recipes are heated to a safe temperature for safe consumption.
- Category: Frostings
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: swiss meringue, meringue, egg whites,