Okay my friends, what do you do when it’s snowing and 6 degrees outside, you’re craving something sweet, but you don’t want to leave your snuggled up position on the couch for very long to spend time in the kitchen…and your pantry is getting a little bare, because you refuse to go out into the cold to go shopping…..Well that’s the dilemma I recently found myself in. Therefore, I took a quick inventory of my kitchen pantry and came across a can of peaches, sitting beside, of all things, a box of oatmeal. Yes…peaches and oatmeal. Hmm! My little pea brain started working….it has to be something quick, simple, yet warm and delicious. I like any kind of fruit crumble my friends, but sometimes I’m more in the mood for a lot of fruit with just a touch of crumb topping and spice… so here’s what my little pea brain concocted.
This crumble is so quick and easy, requires a hand full of ingredients, and will more than satisfy a sweet tooth on a cold winter day! And oh yes…..if you happen to have any Vanilla Ice Cream on hand…..well…enough said!
Here’s all you need to do…..preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Open up a large can of peaches in syrup; Drain and pour them into an 8″ x 8″ dish.
Then grab a bowl and mix together some flour, oats, brown sugar, nutmeg and salt.
Now cut some real butter into small pieces and toss it in with the dry stuff. Ok, let’s stop and talk butter for a second. I used 1/2 stick of butter when I initially made this recipe, and as delicious and buttery as it was, I did realize in hind sight, that I could’ve decreased the butter by a “wee” bit and it would still be just as delicious. Therefore I have since tweaked my recipe and reduced the butter. My thighs will thank me, I’m sure.
Now grab a pastry blender or fork and cut the butter into the crumb mixture.
Now sprinkle the dry mixture over the peaches and lightly pat down with your hand.
Bake for about 35 minutes, until the topping looks lightly browned. It’s that simple! Now go get that ice cream!!
Warm peaches with just a dusting of warm spicy oatmeal crumb topping!
- 1 large can sliced peaches drained, 29 ounce
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup oatmeal, (I use quick oats)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange the peaches in the bottom of an 8″ x 8″ baking dish.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or fork.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture over the peaches and pat down slightly with your hand.
- Bake for about 35 minutes until the topping looks slightly browned.
- Serve warm with some Vanilla Ice Cream. Yum!
- Serving Size: 6