- 3 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Fill a medium saucepan about 1/2 full with water. Bring it to a boil over medium heat and reduce the heat to medium-low so that it just simmering around the edges, not boiling.
- Add the egg whites, sugar, water, and cream of tartar to a large heatproof bowl of a stand mixer. If you don’t have a stand mixer, just make sure you use a heatproof bowl.
- Place the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water. Whisk the mixture frequently, for about 5 minutes, until the sugar has completely dissolved and it will also be foamy. This takes about 5 minutes. Check it by rubbing a tiny bit of the mixture between two fingers. If it feels grainy, the sugar has not dissolved yet.
- Place the bowl on the stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until the frosting is very glossy and triples in volume, about 7 minutes. Mix in the vanilla and any food coloring, if using.
- Spread the frosting on a cake or cupcakes as desired.
- This frosting will hold up for 4 to 5 days at room temperature.
- Category: Frostings
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Seven Minute Frosting, White Mountain Frosting, Fluffy White Frosting, White Frosting,