A vanilla, buttery, chewy cut out sugar cookie, thats super easy to make and melt in your mouth delicious!
- 2 sticks real butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl with a fork or pastry blender.
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed with a mixer until it is very light and creamy. Add the sugar and mix until the sugar is incorporated in with the butter. Add the vanilla and eggs and mix until well combined.
- Add half of the flour to the wet mixture while mixing on low speed, just to combine. Add 1 tablespoon of the milk, the remaining flour and then the remaining milk, while mixing on low speed. Mix on medium speed for a few seconds to make sure everything is combined well.
- Place dough, one third at a time, on a floured surface. Roll dough out to about 1/8″ in thickness. Cut in desired shapes, and decorate as desired, and place on an ungreased cookie sheet about two inches apart.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, just until cookies are set and barely browned on the bottom. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container. Cookies will stay fresh for up to one week and freeze well for up to one month.
- It is very important to not over bake these cookies. One extra minute will result in a hard cookie.