This Vegetarian Vegetable Barley Soup is so filling that it doesn’t need meat. It’s my new favorite vegetable soup and it takes no time to make. Everything gets thrown in a pot together and simmered for two hours and the end result is incredible flavor!
I usually don’t post a picture of the ingredients for a recipe. However, I wanted to mention a couple of the ingredients for this recipe.
Tamari Lite is a form of Soy Sauce, found next to regular Soy Sauce. Make sure you buy the “Lite” with less sodium. You don’t want to over salt the soup. Speaking of salt, this recipe calls for 3/4 teaspoon of salt. This doesn’t sound like a lot of salt, but some of the other ingredients contain salt. The soup gets simmered for up to 2 hours and tasted every 30 minutes to see if more salt & pepper are needed.
Vegetable Bouillon Cubes I used Knorr Vegetable Bouillon Cubes in this soup and I love the flavor they add to the soup. If for some reason you can’t find them at your grocery store, you can also use Better Than Bouillon which is a great choice also for great flavor.
I hope you enjoy this soup recipe as much as I did. Let me know if you make it.
Check out these other hearty and flavorful soup recipes…
This hearty and delicious vegetable soup is full of flavor. It’s also full of healthy barley and good-for-you vegetables and it will warm you to the core!
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 leek, diced (use the white part only)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables, 16 ounces, thawed
- 1 can whole tomatoes, 28 ounces
- 4 garlic cloves or 3 teaspoons minced garlic from a jar
- 1/3 cup instant barley
- 2 large vegetable bouillon cubes (see picture & notes above recipe)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (maybe more to taste after soup simmers)
- Pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Tamari, low sodium (this is a form of Soy Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 small zucchini, sliced in small slices
- 2 stalks celery diced or sliced small
- 1/3 head cabbage, chopped
- 10 cups water
- Add the tomatoes to a large soup pot and lightly mash them with a potato masher. Add the other ingredients and water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, tasting the soup every 30 minutes and adding more salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve hot and refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days.
This soup freezes great. Place in a freezer safe sealed container, leaving one inch of headspace at the top of the container.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Cook
Keywords: vegetarian vegetable soup, vegetable barley soup, vegetarian soup, soup, vegetable,