This hearty and delicious vegetable soup is full of flavor. It’s also full of healthy barley and good-for-you vegetables and it will warm you to the core!
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 leek, diced (use the white part only)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables, 16 ounces, thawed
- 1 can whole tomatoes, 28 ounces
- 4 garlic cloves or 3 teaspoons minced garlic from a jar
- 1/3 cup instant barley
- 2 large vegetable bouillon cubes (see picture & notes above recipe)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (maybe more to taste after soup simmers)
- Pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Tamari, low sodium (this is a form of Soy Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 small zucchini, sliced in small slices
- 2 stalks celery diced or sliced small
- 1/3 head cabbage, chopped
- 10 cups water
- Add the tomatoes to a large soup pot and lightly mash them with a potato masher. Add the other ingredients and water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, tasting the soup every 30 minutes and adding more salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve hot and refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days.
This soup freezes great. Place in a freezer safe sealed container, leaving one inch of headspace at the top of the container.
Keywords: vegetarian vegetable soup, vegetable barley soup, vegetarian soup, soup, vegetable,