Do you ever find yourself in the mood for Apple Dumplings but feel intimidated by the thought of trying to make them? Well, think again. Here’s a recipe that’s quick and easy. Yes you read the title of this recipe correct. “Mountain Dew” Apple Dumplings. There’s a few versions of this recipe floating around out there in Pinterest Land. The version I’m sharing with you is the one that’s made and shared in my hometown of Brooksville Kentucky. You might be wondering why the Mountain Dew! The Mountain Dew sort of mingles itself with the cinnamon, sugar and butter and bakes into a divine syrupy mixture that gets spooned over the baked turnovers. Whew, long sentence. Now you wanna know what makes these easy? Crescent rolls. That’s right, two cans to be exact.
Can you slice apples, open two cans of Crescent Rolls and mix together some cinnamon and sugar? Well then…you can make these quick and easy turnovers.
Oh yes, you have to pour some Mountain Dew around the turnovers…real hard. Then watch the magic begin.
Don’t forget the Ice Cream!!
Mountain Dew bakes into a buttery, cinnamon syrup and baths tender apple turnovers.
- 2 large Granny Smith apples
- 2 cans crescent rolls
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 can Mountain Dew, 12 ounces
- 8 pats butter, about 2/3 stick
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the stick of butter in a 9 x 13 dish and melt in the preheated oven.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cinnamon and sugar.
- Peel and slice each apple into 8 equal thick slices.
- Pour half of the butter over the cinnamon and sugar mixture and mix to combine. Leave remaining butter in the baking dish.
- Open crescent rolls. Place two dough triangles at a time on a lightly floured counter or piece of wax paper. Place them together to form a rectangle pressing the seams together.
- Place two slices of apples on each rectangle. Sprinkle lightly with the cinnamon sugar mixture, then place one pat of butter on top of apples. Bring the corners of dough up and over the apples seaming the sides together with your fingers.
- Place turnovers in baking dish on top of melted butter. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture over the turnovers. Pour the Mountain Dew between and around but not directly on top of the turnovers.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until apples are tender when a knife is inserted into them. Turnovers should be golden brown on top.
- Spoon the syrupy mixture over the turnovers.
- Turnovers are best when served immediately. Refrigerate leftovers.