I thought I’d share one more quick and easy Halloween recipe this week. I have something crawly and muddy up my sleeve. Eek! You won’t believe how easy these are to make, and what kid doesn’t love something muddy with a nightcrawler emerging from it.
All I did was use a dark chocolate cake mix…the darker the better for this muddy mess. I purposely filled them 3/4 full, so they would mound up on top as they baked. Once they baked and cooled, I used a serrated knife and sliced off the mounded tops.
Then I crumbled the tops to look like dirt. But wait…I didn’t just want dirt, I wanted MUDDY dirt.
That was an easy fix. All I did was heat up a cup of heavy whipping cream, add some chocolate and allow it to melt and whisk it until smooth. Then I poured it over the dirt crumbs and mixed it all together. One big muddy mess!! The rest was easy. I piled a heaping mound of mud onto the top of each cupcake and hid a nightcrawler under the mud.
- 1 box cake mix, dark chocolate
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Candy gummy worms
- Prepare cupcakes according to box directions, filling cupcake liners 3/4 full. Cool cupcakes completely.
- Use a serrated knife to slice off the mounded tops of cupcakes and place in a medium bowl. Using your hands, crumble the tops up into small crumbs. Set aside.
- Place the whipping cream in a two cup measuring cup. Heat the whipping cream in a microwave until it's very hot but not boiling. Add the chocolate chips and allow to set for one minute. As the chocolate begins to melt, whisk until smooth. Pour chocolate ganache over the cake crumbs and mix with a large spoon to combine chocolate and cake crumbs.
- Place a candy worm across the top of each cupcake. Hold up the head of the worm with one hand while placing a heaping tablespoon of the chocolate mixture on top of each cupcake, mounding up the mixture. Mixture will remain wet.
- Serve cupcakes the same day or refrigerate until ready to serve. Allow cupcakes to set at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.
- Store in an airtight container.