Last week was SO… cold here in Kentucky. I had two things on my mind all week… hot soup and hot bread, so I made both. First I made my recipe for Homemade Bread Bowls, that I later shared with you, and of course I just had to fill my bread bowls with some hot soup. When choosing a soup for bread bowls, you want a creamy thick soup, not a brothy thin soup. I had so many hot and creamy soup options to choose from, but after some thought I came up with the winner, Homemade Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup.
Here’s a quick overview of what I did to make this soup delicious, creamy and loaded with flavor…
- I started by chopping some fresh cauliflower and roasting it in my oven.
- I cooked some thinly sliced carrots in a small pan and set them aside. I find that when I saute´ vegetables, carrots seem to take quite a bit longer to get tender than other vegetables.
- I melted some butter in a dutch oven. I added some celery, onion and garlic and cooked until the vegetables were tender. Then I added some flour and a little chicken broth and made a roux, followed by more chicken broth.
- Next I added the roasted cauliflower…the star of the show.
- I added some milk and heavy cream, and lastly…some shredded white cheddar cheese.
- I simmered it for about five minutes until the cheese had melted and the soup became even more creamy.
Did I say creamy?
I’ve served this delicious soup two ways…in soup bowls and bread bowls. It delicious either way.
- 1 head cauliflower, around 2 pounds, rinsed, cored and chopped into small florets
- 2 carrots, peeled & very thinly sliced
- 1/2 stick butter, unsalted
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 rounded teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Additional salt & pepper to taste
- 1 bar white cheddar cheese, 6 ounces, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place carrots in a small pan. Cover with water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until tender and drain. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, spread the cauliflower out in an even layer on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle lightly with salt & pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Bake until cauliflower turns a light golden color and looks crispy around the edges and remove from oven. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Add the celery, onions, salt & pepper and saute until the celery is almost tender. Add the garlic and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the broth and the flour and whisk constantly over medium heat for about 2 minutes until the flour has had time to cook out. Add the remaining broth, carrots and cauliflower and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the milk and heavy cream and cook stirring constantly for about 5 minutes until soup has slightly thickened. Add about 1 scant cup of the cheese and continue cooking and stirring for about 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve in soup or bread bowls. Sprinkle additional cheese on top.
- This soup yields 4 large soup bowls or 6 bread bowls. See my previous post for bread bowls for a great way to serve this creamy soup.
- Cook time includes time for roasting the cauliflower.