This Spring Onion Alphabet Soup is light and flavorful and it’s a perfect meal starter soup or the perfect soup to serve for lunch with a sandwich. It’s also super easy to make!
I didn’t make this soup recipe. I stole it. I ate the soup, took pictures of the soup, and now I’m sharing it. Yep, that’s right!!
My sister Nancy walked into my kitchen the other day carrying a pot of this delicious soup. She loves all soups and makes a different soup each weekend. We enjoyed this soup for lunch along with some egg salad sandwiches.
This soup is a light but very flavorful soup, and it’s great served as a starter soup before a meal or with a sandwich for lunch. It’s a thin brothy soup and is loaded with lots of peas, onions and fun alphabet pasta.
My sister Nancy is a vegetarian and she used this great vegetarian broth in this soup. You can use regular chicken broth or vegetarian broth. You can find alphabet pasta at Trader Joe’s or online. You might find it at some grocery stores. However, my local Kroger store does not carry it.
This is a perfect light starter soup for a main meal or to have with a sandwich. It’s simple but very flavorful.
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 large leek, (white part only) thinly sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup small alphabet pasta
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Saute’ the butter and onion in dutch oven until the onion is translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the leak and green onions and cook covered over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the peas, chicken broth, water, pasta, and salt and reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and basil.
- Serve hot as a starter for a main meal or with sandwiches.
Keywords: spring onion soup, alphabet soup, spring soup, onion soup, pea soup,